As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
The sweet and tangy flavors of ripe guavas are mixed with savory ingredients to create a delicious, healthy, and vegan guava salad. It is a popular dish in Southeast Asia.
💚 Why You Will Love This Recipe
This Burmese-style guava salad is perfect as a light lunch or as a side dish for a larger meal. It is a great way to enjoy the unique flavor of guavas in your diet and add some variety to your usual salads.
Guava is amazingly rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. This remarkable nutrient content provides it with many health benefits. Guava extract is good for digestion and may help improve blood sugar levels. These benefits give all the reasons to indulge in guava whenever they are in season.
The recipe appears to be a unique and flavorful take on a traditional salad. The combination of guava, cucumber, caramelized onions, chickpea flour, peanuts, lemon, salt, and red chilli offers a delicious balance of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy flavors. Additionally, the recipe is vegan and gluten-free, making it a healthy and inclusive option for many dietary restrictions.
If you enjoy trying new and creative recipes that are also nutritious and tasty, then this Burmese-style guava salad might be worth checking out!
✔️ Tips to Make the Perfect Guava Salad
The main ingredient for this salad is guava. So make sure to use slightly underripe guava (should have light green skin, maybe 2-3 days away from being soft and yellow) as the seeds are less hard and easy to bite. I have used oil-free caramelized onions here instead of deep-frying the onions, thus making the salad really healthy and nutritious. Chickpea flour is a rare ingredient in salads but it makes this dish so special that when combined with peanuts, you get a nutty and crunchy flavor in every bite. There’s red chilli powder for a slight spiciness, cucumber for freshness, and lemon juice for tanginess.
If you are thinking what about the dressing? Well, you don’t really need a separate dressing because the toasted chickpea flour, juicy caramelized onions, lemon juice, and salt when combined with all the ingredients, release water and thicken the salad, thereby giving a nice subtle tangy flavor. Apart from being delicious and super healthy, this salad is so versatile that you can swap guavas for raw mangoes or any tart fruit that’s in season.
🥗 More Healthy Salad Recipes to Try
- ¼ cup raw peanuts
- 1 Tbsp chickpea flour or gram flour (besan)
- 1 medium slightly underripe guava, sliced
- ½ cup caramelized onions
- ½ cup cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 lemon slices
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and dry roast raw peanuts for 3-5 minutes or until they turn slightly brown. Once roasted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool down. After a few minutes rub between your hands to remove the skin.
- To the same pan over medium heat, toast the chickpea flour for about 3-4 mins or until it starts to color. Frequently stir to make sure it doesn’t burn. Once it turns slightly brown and starts to smell nutty, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl and toss the guavas, caramelized onions, cucumber, red chilli powder, salt, lemon juice, toasted chickpea flour, and roasted peanuts. Mix everything well, taste, and adjust the seasoning.
- Finally, add some lemon slices to serve, and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 1407Total Fat 130gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 111gCholesterol 11mgSodium 739mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 13gSugar 17gProtein 19g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.