As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
This veg grilled sandwich is a healthy and delicious meal to satisfy your hunger and taste buds. Made with fresh vegetables, masala potatoes, whole wheat bread, and seasonings, this sandwich is a popular street food in Mumbai and is easy to make at home. You can enjoy this grilled sandwich with ketchup, but it tastes best with fresh mint and tamarind chutneys.
💚 Why You Will Love This Recipe
You will love this sandwich because it is:
Easy to make – a simple and quick recipe to make with easily available ingredients
Nutritious – loaded with fresh vegetables
Versatile – can customize to suit your taste buds, remove or add any vegetables you may like
Convenient – can be eaten on the go or packed for lunch, perfect for busy days
🥗 What You Will Need
To make this delicious grilled veggie sandwich, you will need the following ingredients:
- Bread – You can use any type of bread, such as whole wheat, or white bread.
- Potatoes – Boiled potatoes sautéd in ghee and spices.
- Vegetables – You can use any type of fresh salad vegetables, such as tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, and spinach.
- Pickled Red Onions – Provide crunchiness and tanginess.
- Spices and Seasonings – To give rich flavors and taste to the sandwich.
- Ghee and Butter – To cook the potato masala and to grill the sandwich.
- Chutneys – Serve the sandwich with spicy and tangy chutneys.
🥪 How To Make This Veg Grilled Sandwich
- The first step for this grilled sandwich recipe is to prepare the potato filling. For this, heat ghee in a frying pan. Once heated, add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, and black salt. Mix everything well and cook for a few minutes. Transfer the potato mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Cut the vegetables finely and add them to a separate bowl along with dry herbs and spices. Mix well and set the bowl aside.
3. Take three bread slices and spread the potato masala filling on the bottom slice, mixed vegetables, pickled red onions on the middle layer, and mint coriander chutney on the top piece and cover. Similarly, prepare the remaining sandwiches.
4. Preheat the grill press. Apply butter on the sandwiches and place them on the grill. Grill till they are browned from both sides.
5. Serve hot with chutneys, and enjoy!
❔ Commonly Asked Questions
What type of bread should I use for this veg grilled sandwich?
You can use regular brown or white sandwich bread or sourdough bread if you prefer.
Can I make the potato masala filling ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the potato masala filling ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Can I make this sandwich without a grill or panini press?
Yes, you can make this sandwich without a grill or panini press by using a regular frying pan or griddle on the stovetop.
Can I freeze or store leftover sandwiches?
Leftover sandwiches can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. It is not recommended to freeze this sandwich.
🍽️ More Healthy Snack Recipes
For Potato Masala Filling
- 1 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 medium potatoes, boiled
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp black salt
For Veggie Filling
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium capsicum, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dry oregano
- ½ Tbsp red chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup pickled red onions
- 12 Whole Wheat Bread Slices
- To a frying pan on medium heat, add ghee. Once heated, add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, and black salt. Mix everything well and cook for 5-7 minutes. Transfer the potato mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl, add all the chopped veggies - carrot, capsicum, cabbage, tomato, cucumber, green chilli, mint leaves, lemon juice, dry oregano, red chilli flakes, and salt. Mix everything well and set aside.
- Take three bread slices and spread the potato masala filling on the bottom slice, veggie mix, and pickled red onions to the middle layer, and mint coriander chutney on the top piece and cover. Similarly, prepare the remaining sandwiches.
- Apply butter on the sandwiches and place them on a toaster grill. Grill till they are browned from both sides.
- Cut each sandwich into two pieces (diagonally) and serve them hot with mint and tamarind chutneys.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 549Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 24mgSodium 1292mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 13gSugar 12gProtein 19g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.