Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Classic, creamy and flavorful pumpkin soup made with fresh pumpkins and spices.
This utterly delicious, creamy, and healthy pumpkin soup is perfect for fall and winter to keep you warm and cozy. The pumpkin makes it so rich and creamy that you don’t need to add in a lot of cream or coconut milk.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like Classic Tomato Soup.
Creamy Pumpkin SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
Classic, creamy, and flavorful pumpkin soup made with fresh pumpkins and spices.
1 tsp vegetable oil or butter
1 medium-size onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 half kg pumpkin or butternut squash
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp heavy cream or 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- CROUTONS & ROASTED DRY FRUITS
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup bread cubes (bread cut into cubes of around 1 cm each)
1/4 cup cashews and almonds
- Take the pumpkin, peel off the skin, scrape out the seeds and cut it into small cubes.
- Add oil and onion to a large pot on medium heat. Stir and saute for about 3-5 mins until the onions caramelize.
- Once caramelized, add garlic and stir until golden, for about 2 mins.
- Add the pumpkin chunks along with water to the pot. Add the spices and bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 mins until pumpkin is soft. (check with a knife or spoon)
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan on low heat and add almonds and cashews, roast them until golden, and once done transfer them to a bowl and let them cool. In the same pan add the bread cubes. Pan fry for 4-5 mins, stirring often until the croutons are golden and crispy.
- Bring the soup to a boil while stirring continuously, add the cream or coconut milk and simmer for 3 mins. Blend the soup with an immersion blender until creamy. Alternatively, turn off the heat, let the soup cool for a few mins, and then blend in a mixer blender. Again heat a large pot on medium heat, transfer the blended soup and let it boil for a few mins until you get a creamy consistency.
- Serve hot with roasted cashews and almonds, and crispy croutons, and drizzle over a teaspoon of cream or coconut milk.