As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
I love having soups during winter and especially this simple classic tomato soup is my go-to recipe. It’s so fresh, deliciously rich with flavors, and easy to make.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil or butter
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 medium-size tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup bread cubes (bread cut into cubes of around 1 cm each)
- 1/4 cup cashew and almonds
- Add oil and onion to a pot on medium heat. Stir and saute for about 3-5 mins until the onions caramelize.
- Once caramelized, add garlic and stir until golden, for about 2 mins.
Add the tomatoes, and salt and mix well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer on low to medium heat until tomatoes soften or for about 8-10 minutes, then add water along with the spices. Add cornstarch to a half cup of water, stir and add it to the soup.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a frying pan on low heat and add almonds and cashews, roast them until golden, and once done transfer them to a bowl and let them cool. In the same pan add the bread cubes. Pan fry for 4-5 mins, stirring often until the croutons are golden and crispy.
- Bring the soup to a boil while stirring continuously to avoid lumps, simmer for 3 mins. Blend the soup with an immersion blender until creamy. Alternatively, turn off the heat, let the soup cool for a few mins, and then blend in a mixer blender.
- Again heat a large pot on medium heat, transfer the blended soup and let it boil for a few mins until you get a creamy consistency.
- Serve hot with roasted cashews and almonds and crispy croutons.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 408Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 46mgSodium 1497mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 7gSugar 15gProtein 8g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.