Classic Tomato Soup
Enjoy this steaming hot bowl of tomato soup, made with fresh tomato, onion and garlic, seasoned with Italian herbs and garnished with roasted dry fruits and croutons.
I love having soups during winter and especially this simple classic tomato soup is my go-to recipe. It’s so fresh, deliciously rich with flavors, and easy to make.
Classic Tomato SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
This simple classic tomato soup is so fresh, deliciously rich with flavors, and easy to make.
1 tsp vegetable oil or butter
1 medium-size onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 medium-size tomatoes, chopped
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
- CROUTONS & ROASTED DRY FRUITS
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup bread cubes (bread cut into cubes of around 1 cm each)
1/4 cup cashew and almonds
- Add oil and onion to a large pot on medium heat. Stir and saute for about 3-5 mins until the onions caramelize.
- Once caramelized, add garlic and stir until golden, for about 2 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, and salt and mix well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer on low to medium heat until tomatoes soften or for about 8-10 minutes, then add water along with the spices. Add cornstarch to a half cup of water, stir and add it to the soup.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan on low heat and add almonds and cashews, roast them until golden, and once done transfer them to a bowl and let them cool. In the same pan add the bread cubes. Pan fry for 4-5 mins, stirring often until the croutons are golden and crispy.
- Bring the soup to a boil while stirring continuously to avoid lumps, simmer for 3 mins. Blend the soup with an immersion blender until creamy. Alternatively, turn off the heat, let the soup cool for a few mins, and then blend in a mixer blender. Again heat a large pot on medium heat, transfer the blended soup and let it boil for a few mins until you get a creamy consistency.
- Serve hot with roasted cashews and almonds and crispy croutons.