As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast recipe that’s filling, easy to make, and packed with nutrition, then mix veg oats chilla is the perfect choice.
‘Chilla’ or ‘Cheela’ is the Indian term for savory, egg-free pancakes or crepes.
This oats chilla is made with oats, chickpea or gram flour, semolina, yogurt, vegetables, and spices, then served hot with coriander chutney. This is a simple yet versatile recipe that you can customize to your liking. You can add any vegetables you have on hand, making it an ideal recipe for using up leftover veggies in your fridge.
💚 Why You Will Love This Recipe
You will love this oats chilla recipe because it is,
- nutritious and fulfilling
- perfect for busy mornings
- highly customizable
- meal-prep friendly
🥗 What You Will Need
For Chilla Batter
To prepare the batter, you will need the following key ingredients :
Oat Flour (grind oats in a grinder)
Once you prepare the batter, you can store it in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days. Then, bring it to room temperature before making the chilla.
Chopped Vegetables and Spices
The following vegetables are finely chopped and then added to the batter :
- Green Chilli
Finally, add the spices to the mix.
🔪 How To Make Veggie Oats Chilla
Here’s how to make this healthy savory pancake :
- First, grind oats to form a fine powder. Then prepare the batter by whisking together oat flour, chickpea flour, semolina, yogurt, and water. Keep the batter in the refrigerator till you prepare the rest.
- Finely chop the veggies and add them to the batter along with spices and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the green chutney by blending all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Transfer the chutney to a bowl and keep it in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
4. Heat a non-stick pan or tawa over medium heat. Brush it with ghee.
5. Pour a ladle full of chilla batter onto the pan and spread it in a circular motion to form a thin pancake. Drizzle some ghee around the edges and cook until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip the chilla and cook the other side until golden brown.
6. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
7. Serve hot with prepared chutney.
✔️ Helpful Tips
- The chilla batter should not be too thick or runny. It should be smooth of spoon-dropping consistency. Semolina tends to soak water easily, so add more water if required.
- Keep the flame on medium-high while cooking and allow the chilla to turn crisp from one side and then flip it. If you flip early, then the chilla might break apart and turn out mushy.
- You can customize the recipe by adding your favorite veggies and spices to the batter.
- While cooking, you can also add toppings such as grated cheese or paneer.
- Apart from the coriander chutney, this chilla goes great with yogurt and a wide range of chutneys and sauces, such as mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or tomato sauce.
- You can also top the chilla with fresh herbs such as coriander and mint before serving.
🍽️ More Healthy Oats Recipes
For Veggie Oats Chilla
- 2 cups oats
- ⅔ cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 cup semolina (sooji)
- ½ cup yogurt
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium capsicum, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1-2 medium green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp salt
- Ghee or oil for cooking
- 2 cups coriander leaves
- 1 cm ginger chunk
- 1 medium green chilli
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
- ½ tsp black salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ cup water
- Grind oats to form oat flour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oat flour, chickpea flour, semolina, yogurt, and water. Use a whisker to form a smooth batter.
- Add the chopped veggies, salt, and spices to the batter. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix well to combine all ingredients.
- To prepare the chutney, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the chutney to a bowl and place in the fridge for a few hours.
- Heat a non-stick pan or tawa over medium heat. Brush it with ghee.
- Pour a ladle full of chilla batter onto the pan and spread it in a circular motion to form a thin pancake.
- Drizzle some ghee around the edges and cook until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Flip the chilla and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 507Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 10mgSodium 977mgCarbohydrates 82gFiber 12gSugar 9gProtein 19g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.