As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
Homemade applesauce is a perfect snack or dessert to enjoy and can be used as a flavor base in many dishes.
Tips for Making the Perfect Applesauce
- Choose the freshest, most flavorful apples. You can mix different varieties of apples.
- You can make it sweetened (use dates) or unsweetened. Since a sweeter apple will naturally make a sweeter sauce, so adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- If the cooked apple mixture seems very watery, drain the excess water before pureeing. Then blend the mixture until you get the desired consistency.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Uses for Homemade Applesauce
Applesauce is a healthy and tasty snack that can be eaten on its own but can also be used to make a variety of dishes. So what else can you do with applesauce?
- Use it in baking cookies, muffins, or cakes. Applesauce is vegan and is a perfect replacement for butter and egg in baking.
- Use it to make pancakes or waffles.
- Make cinnamon applesauce bread.
- Use it to sweeten your oatmeal.
- Serve it with ice cream.
- Spread it onto toast with peanut or almond butter.
- Make yogurt, granola, and applesauce parfait.
- 2 medium sweet red apples, cored and chopped
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 8-10 pitted dates
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan placed on medium heat. Stir and cook until the apples are soft and tender.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool down. Then add to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the applesauce to a bowl and serve it warm or chilled. Store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 52Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 37mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 10gProtein 0g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.