As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read Disclosure Policy for more details.
This traditional Thai Green Papaya Salad, popularly known as Som Tam is a simple, nutritious, and gluten-free salad with raw papaya as the main ingredient. It’s a delicious light appetizer tossed with cucumber, carrot, tomato, cabbage, beetroot, mint leaves, and crunchy roasted walnuts. The tangy and mildly sweet dressing is prepared with vinegar, soy sauce, garlic cloves, and brown sugar.
Variations in this green papaya salad recipe
- replace walnuts with crunchy peanuts or toasted almonds
- replace brown sugar with honey or jaggery
- add lemon juice instead of vinegar
You can easily make ahead this recipe and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Just wait until you are ready to serve the salad to mix in the chopped mint leaves, soy sauce, and vinegar.
More Salad Recipes
- 1 medium raw papaya, grated
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 medium cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp roasted walnuts
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup beetroot, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the salad, pour in the dressing, and toss them well.
- Enjoy it with a meal or on its own!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 184Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1085mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 14gProtein 5g
The nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like a specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.